Parking FAQs

Please view our FAQs below the enquiry form. If these do not answer your question, please use our enquiry form.


I haven’t received a response to my PCN Challenge

We aim to process challenges within 28 days. Often we reply before this. Please allow at least 28 days before following up on your challenge.

I want to challenge my PCN

You can challenge your PCN using our eform.

I want to view an image of my PCN

You may view images of your PCN here.

You will need to enter the PCN number, starting with LH or LJ, and the vehicle registration of the vehicle.

I have been contacted by a Bailiff

Our Bailiff’s details will be on the paper work you have received.

You will need to arrange payment for your PCN through them.

Please contact them as soon as possible to avoid the charges increasing.


Has my car been removed to your car pound?

We may have had reason to remove your vehicle. If you think this is the case, please contact the London Council’s car tracing service, TRACE.

I want to know where the Customer Contact Centre is and when it is open

We have two customer contact centres:

Please note you will no longer be able to discuss a parking fine with a member of our team at our Customer Service Centres. This change has been made as all challenges must be made in writing by using our online web form or submitting a challenge by post. You will still be able to drop off a challenge at our customer centres.  

Brixton Customer Centre
Olive Morris House
18 Brixton Hill
London SW2 1RD

Gracefield Gardens Customer Centre
2 – 8 Gracefield Gardens
London SW16 2ST

Please note you cannot buy or renew a permit at our Gracefield Gardens customer centre.

Opening times for our customer centres are:

• Monday: 9am to 5pm
• Tuesday: 9am to 5pm
• Wednesday: 9am to 5pm
• Thursday: 9am to 5pm (9am – 7pm at Brixton)
• Friday: 9am to 5pm
• Saturday: closed
• Sunday: closed

I want to apply for a refund for my permit

Applications for a refund can be made either by post or at one of our customer centres.

To apply for a refund by post you will need to write to us at:

Lambeth Parking Services
PO Box 51929

You will need to explain why you need a refund and enclose your permit. We will be unable to issue a refund without this.

Our refunds generally take 28 days for the application to be checked and processed.

I have a permit, but have changed my vehicle

You will need to change your permit as it is not valid for the new vehicle.

You will need to complete a new application using our online system or paper form.

Please read section 8 of the Conditions of Use on Page 4.

I have not received my permit renewal letter with my PIN number

From time to time letters go missing. If you have more than seven days left before the expiry of your permit please use the contact form. Please remember to include your permit number or vehicle registration number.

For security reasons we can only post the letter. We cannot email or give you the PIN over the phone.

If there are less than seven days left to the expiry of your permit please go to one of our customer centres.

Why has my permit been cancelled?

To prevent fraudulent applications and to ensure that all permits are awarded in accordance with the council’s parking policy, Lambeth council carries out regular random checks on all types of parking permits. If you fail these checks, you will be asked to provide proof to us that you’re entitled to a permit.  If you can’t provide this proof to us your permit will be cancelled.

To prevent this from happening, you should check your account with us and ensure that all the details you’ve provided to Lambeth is up-to-date and accurate.  For more information on what kind of documents you’ll need to provide us, please visit our website at:

I didn’t receive a renewal reminder for my Permit

As a courtesy, we endeavour to send out permit renewal letters to remind our customers that their permits are about to expire. However there are instances when our citizens might not receive these reminders.

Sending these reminders is not a statutory or legal obligation and Lambeth Council can’t be held accountable if you have forgotten to renew your permit in time.  It is the responsibility of our permit holders to make sure they’re parked correctly using a valid permit.

We recommend that you record the expiry date on your permit when you receive it so that you can create a reminder for yourself to renew your permit without relying solely on a letter from the Council to remind you to do so.

We also recommend that you regularly check your permit, just to make sure that it isn’t damaged or obscured in any way, as you might receive a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) if it’s not legible.

What is the grace period for parking in pay and display bays?

If you are a resident permit holder you may park in pay and display bays without displaying a pay and display ticket for one hour at the start of and one hour at the end of controlled hours. You may only do this in the zone in which your resident permit is valid and you must display your permit at all times.


What is TRACE?

If your car has had to be removed either by the police or by the local authority you can contact TRACE on 0845 2068602.


My partner has just moved in with me and does not have the documents outlined in the form. Why won’t you issue a permit to them?

We can only issue permits to people with the right documentation. Your partner must provide their vehicle documentation and proof that they live at your address then we can issue a discretionary permit until all their documents are in order or if you are a named driver on your partner’s insurance and you can provide the correct documentation then we can issue the permit to you. Alternatively visitors permits could be used for the short term.


I am going on holiday with my car, and my permit runs out while I’m away. Can I get a permit that will start in 3 months time when I return?

Unfortunately we cannot issue a permit in this circumstance, as there is no start date on the permit.


What is the duration of the permits you issue?

We issue 1 month, 3 month, 6 month and 12 month permits.


How many permits can a household have?

Only one permit is issued per vehicle. There is currently no cap on how many permits are issued to a household, but certain new multiple occupancy premises are capped and you will need to check when applying for a permit.

Can I apply online or by post?

You can apply or renew your permit online. You should receive a renewal email or letter by post approximately 28 days before expiry of your current permit.

You can also renew your permit or make a first time application for a permit by post, but please only send photocopies of your documents, as we do not return originals and we cannot be held responsible for any documentation that goes missing in the post. Please send postal applications to:

Parking Business Support

Lambeth Housing Regeneration and Environment

PO BOX 51929




What if I live with my parents and cannot provide any utility bills?

We have changed the criteria for proving proof of address and you can now provide a bank statement from the last 3 months to show proof of address.


What documents do I need to produce?

The following documents will be acceptable:

• Vehicle registration document – this will only apply if you are the registered keeper
of the vehicle and will only be accepted if the vehicle is registered to the Controlled
Parking Zone (CPZ) address. Hand amended documents will not be accepted.

• Full insurance certificate and schedule – this must show your name, the vehicle
registration number and must confirm that the vehicle is insured at your CPZ
address. Temporary cover notes or certificates valid for less than 30 days will not
be accepted.

• Hiring/leasing agreement – if you hire or lease a vehicle privately, you must submit
a copy of the current agreement. (If you drive a company vehicle, see option
‘company letter’ below). The agreement must be valid, show your name, CPZ
address and the vehicle’s registration number.

• Company letter – If you drive a company vehicle provided by your employer, you
must submit a typed letter on company headed paper, signed by your employer
and dated within the last 3 months. The letter must include: your name and
address, the vehicle’s make and registration number, confirmation that you are the
sole user of the vehicle and whether the company owns or leases the car. In
addition, if the company owns the car, a copy of the vehicle registration document
must be provided. If the car is leased, a copy of the lease agreement is required.

• If your company uses a fleet management specialist, a letter from them will be
accepted; however, it must include the information requested above and confirm
the name of the company you work for.

And two of the following proofs of address:

• Driving licence
• Current council tax document
• Utility Bill
• Formal Tenancy agreement
• Bank/Credit Card Statement
• NHS Medical Card
• Home contents insurance policy
• Solicitor’s completion letter
• An Electoral Canvas form or polling card (dated in the last year) (Utility Bill,
Bank/Credit Card Statement and Solicitor’s completion letter will only be accepted
if they are dated within the last 3 months)

Where can I find the price of a permit?

The prices are displayed on our website and we issue them with the permit renewal letters. Alternatively the customer centres can provide you with a copy of prices or you can call 020 7926 9000.


Why do I need to fill in the application form again when renewing my permit?

It is necessary to fill in the application form and provide the supporting documentation to ensure that permits are issued to legitimate applicants only. However you can renew your permit online at if you have received a renewal letter bearing an online code. You should receive your renewal letter by post approximately 28 days before expiry of your current permit.

What do the letters represent on the bay signs?

The first letter relates to the zone e.g. B for Brixton. This is sometimes followed by a second letter, which relates to an area in a zone e.g. ‘I’ for Inner. The next letter will either be a ‘B’ for business or ‘R’ for resident and this relates to the permit holder allowed to park in that bay.


Where can I park?

You may only park in the zone in which you are resident. The zone you are entitled to park in will be marked on the front of your resident’s permit. In your zone you are entitled to park in resident bays and the following shared use bays; resident/business and resident/pay and display during the hours in which parking restrictions are in force.